Saturday, February 17, 2007
DRIVE B: 2007 UST-Engineering Bandfest 1st placers

I am soo proud of my classmates and friends, collectively known as the ever best band DRIVE B! They were awarded 1st place at the 2007 UST- Engineering Bandfest held at Elbow Room in Ortigas last Thusday.

They were up against bands who have established quite a name for themselves in our college or perhaps in the university for being such great performing bands. The competing bands were Rock en Roll, Sitaw, Bem Bugger (i'm still confused whether to pronounce it as bug-er or boo-ger), Fly Heads, Monday Holiday, Elijah's Regression, and Many More (yep, that' s the name of their band) and Drive B.

It was a typical bandfest. Most of the bands played Rock to Hardcore music with influences from local as well as foreign rock bands. Each and every members of the band, from the vocalist to the drummer played great. They were all good and deserving to win but as with every contests, there can only be one champion, Drive B that is.

However, it seems that some students actually contest the ability of DRIVE B as a band. I guess it's normal, everyone has their own opinions and stuff. I say your band sucks, you say they don't. It's just a matter of liking. But then again the judges had spoken for themselves, and they want DRIVE B. Perhaps it's Drive B's distinct and original choice in music that makes them stand-out among the rest of the competing bands. They dared to be different, safe sounding but still competitive and flexible.

The songs they played were 99 Red Balloons, Only One by Yellowcard and their composition entitled Hypnotized written by the bassist's special friend.

If I was one of the judges and I were to pick a winner, aside from Drive B, I'd choose Bem Bugger. If my memory serves me well , I think they are the band that played 99 ways to die or some sort. (Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't wanna deprive other people of the credit they deserve.) They are so rock dude! I've appreciated their talents as musicians despite the fact that I am merely a fan of hadcore.

Imago was the guest band. Unfortunately, they only played 3 or 4 songs that night.

To see such showcase of talents from our very own faculty is astounding. I never thought that great musicians are also to be found at the UST Faculty of Engineering.

Pictures to come later!

Labels:

 
posted by yhan at 11:18 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: