Friday, February 23, 2007
Drug testing for UST students
Earlier this day, the class president and also my friend, Mai, told me that an employee in the dean's office was asking me and 3 other of my classmates to go to room 60. Immediately, I asked her why. I thought I was in serious trouble since I am not the most disciplined student after all. I cut classes all the time so I thought maybe a professor wants to talk to me because she/he is about to give me a "failure due to absences" mark.

My 3 other classmates , who were also called, also have the reputation of not going to certain classes and/or being late all the time. And honestly, being in a group with them really made me think that I was in trouble, not that I'm an obedient student and they're not or whatever.

Apparently, it was a drug test that samples random students per class. Students who will undergo the drug test were chosen in random by the UST Health Services Department. So, I went to room 60 and asked the med tech girl from the UST hospital, who is by the way a total smart ass, if I could decline from taking the test, and without hesitation she said NO. Turns out that it is a 2002 R.A but they've just implemented it this year. Requirement my face, all along I thought it was a violation of the human rights of students. Is it really required by the law? Law students, come on educate me please.

I don't want to elaborate more on the urine test part and how embarrassing it was for me to let the other 5 male students inside the room see my urine inside a tiny bottle. OMG. Thank God, I'm on the last days of my period. If it were the first day, I swear I'd reschedule. Nevertheless, it was still embarrasing on my part.

The drug test is really preposterous because it will never be accurate in the first place. Imagine randomly selecting 4-10 students each class for testing. The probability of having positive results are very low, there might actually be none at all. They should've scheduled everyone for testing instead of just picking a few right?

So they told us that we will also benefit in this test and it's also for free. Apart from the high alcohol content in the urine, I'm expecting a negative result.

Labels:

 
posted by yhan at 8:31 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: