Thursday, April 05, 2007
Truth about my OJT

I’ll share with you the truth behind MY so-called on-the-job training or Internship as I’d prefer to call it.

I am an incoming senior student at the University of Santo Tomas taking up BS Information Technology. Our curriculum is requiring us to have a company train us as interns with a minimum of 300 working hours this summer.

Normally, schools themselves find a suitable company for their students. That should be the correct setting. However, under unspecified circumstances, we, the students are the ones who are blowing our asses off just to get a very good company accept us as interns. Honestly, some of us are dead tired dealing with company HR departments who won’t return our e-mails and all that shit.

Not only that, we also have to pay the freaking school 5,300 pesos. Where is that amount supposed to go? well, I have no fucking idea. Think think......

I passed my resume in countless companies at the Job Fair held at our school. Only 4 of them responded. One was Accenture who convinced us into getting an exam with them, the other was Sykes Enterprise, Link2Support and the other one, which is a call center company.

Most of us dreamt of working with Accenture because it is an IT company for the most part. One afternoon, our cellphones started ringing one after the other. It was Accenture and they were asking us to confirm an examination with them. Of course, everyone was ecstatic. It was the first company to call us since the Job Fair. Everyone confirmed into taking the exam at the Accenture Libran House.

Whoever said that the pre-employment examination of accenture is easy,is either lying or did not really took the exam. Accenture Torture, that's what we'd like to call that exam. The examination was very hard. It tested our intellectual endurance. I believe the neurons in my brain were also screaming and cursing that exam more than I do. It probably was the hardest exam I evarrrr had.

A few week later, I got a call from them informing me that I passed the exam and they would schedule and interview so I should check my e-mail once in while. I waited and waited and waited until I grew roots but there was no e-mail. My other classmates also did not receive any from them. So much for hoping.

Then there was Sykes where I was interviewed together with one of my classmates and another girl from UP. My brain once again complained but this time it's because of an information overload. The interview lasted for at least an hour or so and there was too much information for me to handle. The bottomline was me and my classmate did not take the offer because the job was not fitted in our category and for other inconvenient reasons as well.

I was desperate to find a company, so me and some of my classmates ventured the soaring towers of Makati. Went to PBCom, PhilamLife, GT tower, RCBC Plaza etc. and submitted our resumes to unknown companies. We all knew at the back of our minds that our resumes will be disregarded. Heck we were even lucky if it reaches the HR department.

FYI: Amongst those towers, the PhilamLife Tower has the best elevators. =)

I was cursing walk-in aplication. Not only did I spent so much for my transpo and food and water, it also was tiring that I even fell asleep in the bus and lost my ID. =(

After so much desperation, our walk-in application paid-off. Metrobank called me and my friend scheduling us for an interview. As far as we're concerned, we got the job. We either start this week or next week.

Okay, it might be tiring as it seem but it's only the beginning of this internship and I'm so much hopeful for the success of this one.

Labels: ,

 
posted by yhan at 2:24 AM | Permalink |